Posted June 03, 2018 08:23:23A 17-year-old boy died from an infection in the heart of the state’s salmon industry.
The death occurred in the state capital of Bend, Ore., on Wednesday, the Oregon Health Authority said.
The boy was not wearing a protective mask, according to a news release.
A spokesman for the Oregon State Coroners Service said the boy died of pneumonia and his family was notified.
He died Wednesday morning at the Bend Children’s Hospital.
A total of five people have died from salmon poisoning since January 1.
The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife said in March that there were 23 confirmed cases of salmon poisoning in Oregon between Jan. 1 and March 31.
Oregon’s Department of Health Services said it has sent more than 10,000 doses of the drug voriconazole to emergency treatment centers nationwide.